Wednesday, November 12, 2014

The value of 5 more minutes. (part 1)

My name is Kristin Santa Maria, and I am a nurse.   More precisely, I am a Hospice nurse.    When people casually ask me what I do for a living, and I say “I am a Hospice nurse”, invariably what comes next is the sad face, the sad puppy eyes,  and always the question……..”OOOhhhhhh…….how on earth do you do that every single day?”   Even though I know this same question is coming, it always takes me aback.  Because honestly what I do, is just simply, who I am.   Please understand that I know being on the receiving end of a Hospice nurse, makes me about as welcome as the dog catcher or foot fungus.   Please understand that on the day I get the name of a patient, they also get a name…..my name.   They hear my name, as they and their family also had to sit and hear the words, “We will call Hospice in to help you, because there is nothing else we can do to extend your life.”  I fully understand that these words shifted the center of their universe.  And not for one second, I do take that lightly.   I understand the finality and weight of those words, and the fear that those words can bring.  

Please know, that as I read the history and physical sent to me from the doctor’s office that describes the nature and course of a disease process, that first and foremost, I read the name of the person that I will walk this sacred journey with.   Because to me, this person…..this Father, Mother, wife, husband, sister, brother, son, daughter, aunt/uncle, Grandparent, cousin, friend……ultimately are not defined by this disease process, but instead, who they are to others, and the depth of the life that they are currently living.  Their name connects me to WHO they are.  They are sick…they are going to die..…I get that.  But they are so much more than this illness.  And given the fragile nature of this situation, I need to help them fully live……for as long as time allows.  I will study and understand their disease process for purposes of unpleasant symptom control only.  But this season I venture into with them requires me to dig much deeper, and to be in touch with the bigger picture of who they are, who they were created to be, and what they presently need to end this race well. 

Once I have a dear one’s name in hand, and place them on my heart, I venture into their driveway.  I do this having little to no information about what sort of environment I am about to walk in to.   Sometimes I am received with open arms of people standing in the yard to eagerly usher me in.  Other times, I am met with cold, angry eyes, fearfully peering at me out of closed blinds.   And let me just say, as I enter their home, I understand am a nobody in their life.  I have never met these people.  I have never been to any of the family dinner’s, weddings, funerals, holidays, birthday celebrations, and yet, I show up on this day to begin a most painful and arduous task of walking someone through their journey home.   Sometimes I am received well and other times, not so much.  I have had shoes thrown at me, dogs sicked on me, guns pulled on me, and hostile accusations of trying to kill people……along with marriage proposals, attempts to write me in will’s, offers to adopt me, and unrefusable gifts of more baked goods than Santa Clause.   People have unsuccessfully requested for me to help end a life sooner than the number of days that their Creator allotted, while others have pleaded unsuccessful requests for me to keep them here longer than their given days allowed.   But I am a simple girl, made of skin cells just like you.  I don’t have any super hero powers, which quite honestly would be of SUCH benefit given my profession.  
But my ace in my pocket is that I am an ambassador to The Creator…..the one who designed on purpose, for purpose, the one you so dearly love and that I have been entrusted to care for during these precious final days.  And as I drive onto their property I always pray, “Dear Lord……you must give me the words, because on my own, I have none.  Just let me be your hands and feet.”  

As I walk into their home, I understand that I have about 5 minutes to size up the situation.  I have a few precious moments to understand the dynamics of their family.  And let me just say……we all have some dynamics, some more colorful than others.  I must quickly grasp the depth and nature of their faith, their hopes, their expectations, and their fears about the subject matter that is lurking ahead of us so menacingly.  As I look around their home, I quickly learn where their heart is by absorbing the family photos, the hand drawn crayon pictures on the refrigerator, and the different collections of their life.   The things we collect along the way, truly paint a picture of the journey of a person’s life.  

Within 5 minutes, I must have absorbed their past, understand their present…….and then be prepared to paint a picture that they can be comfortable with, of what is in their immediate future. 
  
When  we think about situations when someone dies suddenly, unexpectedly…….we always say “I wish that I had just 5 more minutes to say…..to do……to let them know……”   As I begin this journey with them, and as I prepare them for what is to come, I know that my biggest job is to help them understand that this is their gifted time…….this time, IS their 5 more minutes.  This is your time to say, to do, to tell, to ask.   I encourage them to make memories, and to create tangible memories that will give comfort to those that will be left to grieve.   I encourage them to let their loved ones know how big an impact they had on their life.  We all want to know that we made a difference…….that our legacy will live on……that we had impact in the lives of people.  And I do all of this while quietly directing them about pain meds, nausea meds, how to ease shortness of breath, arranging medical equipment, and incontinent supplies……and of course, managing poop.   Seriously, in the midst of dying, why do we have to deal with the issues of poop?  There is always either too much of it…….or not enough.  I also become their counselor, their adviser, their encourager, their prayer warrior, their friend.  

When I drove into their driveway, I fully understood the cost.  I understood that I would have to get close to someone that I would soon be saying goodbye to.   Yes, I know this is not my loved one…….but in the end, they allow me to fall in love with them too, even if it is for a brief moment in time.   I understood that I would get to see this family in one of its finest hours, as they surrounded and guard their dear one that we would ultimately be sending home.   I get to see them all take time off from work, school, life, and it’s never a convenient time.  And yet, they don’t complain. 

I see them all intricately weave together a schedule of care for their loved one, and arrange their lives, their schedule, their needs, where they go and how long they stay, around what is needed to be done for the one they love.  And that by no means is an easy task.  I get to see relationship wounds heal, faith affirmed, estrangements resolved, miracle moments of prodigals return, and I get to help orchestrate and encourage those very delicate, necessary, and intimate heartfelt goodbyes.    I see people's comfort zones broaden beyond anything they could have ever imagined they were capable of doing.  It’s easy to be a family on a Sunday picnic.  But to me, this is when I get to see the true core of a family.  And let me just say, these families never cease to amaze me. 

Given what I do every day, sometimes people say to me “You must be good at detaching from your emotions.”  My response to this is, “Are you insane?”  How on earth could you detach from this situation?
How could you be in the presence of a life…..a child of God……who has come to the end of their journey, and not understand how powerful and moving that is?  Because these families are so gracious to share with me this precious soul, and this intimate journey, I truly do physically feel the pain with them as we together navigate the rough waters that are ahead in this stormy season. 

While we celebrate their life, I along with them, also grieve their absence.    It is an absolute privilege for me to be allowed into their home……into their life…….and entrusted to care for THIS most delicate situation they are facing.  I am always so thankful that they share their loved ones with me for just a brief moment in time.   A moment I would have missed, had I chosen to sell cars or be an accountant for a living.  I believe that our life is a collection of moments.  And I believe that there are moments in life, that inspire the REST of your moments in life. 

I want them to know, that the moments that we share together, are the ones that inspire me to keep on doing, what I do.  Many times I share stories of the people I have cared for, with people who are just beginning this final season of life and they are afraid, and uncertain, but their stories provide comfort and peace like no medication can. 
Their stories offer some light, in what can seem like the darkest of situations.   These dear ones, live on in the work I continue to do, every, single, day.  They are, my inspiration.  The families, are my inspiration.  And I want the families to know that I don’t forget them, or the ones that leave us.  
We cry with them……..we grieve with them…….and we remember them.  

And given that I walk this gifted time with them, part of my pain is fully understanding…..that in any situation……. 5 more minutes is just never enough time. 
So when people ask me “How do you do that job every, single, day?  My simplest and most honest answer is ………“How could I not?”

No comments:

Post a Comment